Animals have got a busy schedule this weekend. Oct. 2 is World Farm Animal Day is Oct 2 and is World Animal Day is October 4. Some just go all out and make October World Animal Month.
Here’s the difference in these dueling animal holidays: World Animal Day started in 1931 in Italy to bring attention to endangered species. They chose the Feast Day of St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals. In 2003 some Brits started organizing online and since then it’s really taken off with events in 72 countries. While many events aim to get money or sympathy for animals, this is a pretty feel good holiday. It’s very broadly celebrated, with animal blessing to rabies awareness clinics.
World Farm Animal Day is more about protesting–however mildly–the eating of animals. They chose Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday. It’s mostly U.S.-based (though now has events in 24 countries). The main World Farm Animal Day activity seems to be handing out pamplets, if you can call that festive. But some of the many worldwide events are more crafty:
- Oct 1, 8pm, OurHenHouse launch party. This sassy and media-savvy site is bringing animal issue to the mainstream. The women-run (thus, the hen) site is a clearinghouse ways to help animals. Moo Shoes, 78 Orchard St., Lower East Side, NY, NY
- Oct 1-31, Look for pedicabs and wild posting around NYC promoting the non-profit Rare. They do their real work around the world, teaching locals to take pride in their unique wildlife and find ways to make a living without exploiting it. During World Animal Month they’ll host a road race in Guam to showcase the endangered Ko’Ko bird, get fishermen to release the Taimen they catch in Mongolia.
- Oct 2, bake sale for Animal Acres of Acton, CA, at the Camarillo Farmers Market, Arneill Rd. Camarillo, CA
- Oct 2, 12-1, Richmond Meat Tray Demo: volunteers will strip and put themselves inside human-sized versions of meat packages, E Cary St & S 10th St., Richmond, VA
- Oct. 2, 11 am, 2010 Orlando Walk for Farm Animals raises funds for Farm Sanctuary, Ethos Vegan Kitchen, 1235 N. Orange, Orlando, FL
- Oct. 2, 10-6, 1st Annual Tampa Bay Veg Fest, cruelty-free products, non-profits and animal rescue groups., Hixon Waterfront Park, 600 N. Ashley Drive, Tampa
- Oct. 2, 12-5, video screening, peace pole ceremony, dances of universal peace, vegan potluck. Meet rescued calves, pigs, goats, rabbits. Peace Center, Hakalau, HI
- Oct. 2, 2-4, Pro-Veg Rally featuring MARC’s Barnyard Trio, Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA
- Oct 3, 2pm, Blessing of the Animals, Ryerss Farm for Aged Equines, Pottstown, PA
- Oct 3, 11-2, SunSentinel Jazz Brunch, Bring your dog, too. Vegan samples. Meet Animal Aid’s dogs for adoption. Riverwalk, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Oct 6, 1-3, Protest at National Chicken Council’s 56th Annual conference Four Seasons Hotel ( 2800 Pennsylvania Ave NW) Washington, DC.
- Oct. 9, “Soles for souls” marches for farm sanctuary. Jacksonville Beach, FL
- Oct. 9, noon, Feed-In to benefit New Dawn Montana Farmed Animal Sanctuary in Stevensville, MT. Western Montana Vegetarian Society hosts a vegan potluck. 102 McLeod Ave., Missoula, MT
- Oct 1, Cage-in, Video Screening, Die-in, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
- Oct 2, noon, A McCruelty demonstration at 99 Rideau St, Ottawa, Ontario
- Oct 4, noon, A protest at slaughterhouse, Richelieu Meat, Abattoir, 595 rue Royale C.P. 101, Massueville, Quebec
Oct. 3, 10 am. Animals Asia Foundation’s annual Sponsored Walk for Freedom at Cotehele National Trust. The money raised goes to rehabilitate endangered moon bears, suffering in bile farms of China and Vietnam, among other Asian animals. Dogs welcome. 3 Ashleigh Meadow, Tregondale Farm, Menheniot, Cornwall
Oct. 3, 11-5 UK Wolf Conservation Trust holds a howling competition and talks on wildlife rescue, mole catching, otters and other neat topics. Butlers Farm, Beenham, Reading, Berks,
Oct 2, 3pm-6pm, Funeral remembrance farm animals, including mourners and hamburger in a coffin, Vaclavske, namesi (middle of the square), Prague
- Oct 2 HESY holds fundraiser and collection of toys and food for homeless animals at Jumbo Shopping Centre, Helsinki
- Oct 4 HESY booksale for animals
Visit “Le Refuge de la Ferme” (Emegency shelter for apes in danger) 150km from Paris.
Oct 3 Animals Lebanon will plant trees in the Chouf mountains to restore a habitat for wildlife that has been largely wiped out by wars, hunting and roadside zoos.
TURKEY Haytap runs a country-wide protest “Who’s My Murderer?” that pushes to update the Animal Protection Law in Turkey.
Oct 2, 4 pm. “Lecture on non-violence by eminent speaker. Elocution competition for the college going students. Followed by high tea.” Kachiguda Road, Andhra University, Andhra Pradesh
Oct 1-4 Free pet health check-up and vaccination at the JBF Pet Care Unit Guwahati, Assam
Nigeria SPCA starts a one-year campaign to neuter pets and vaccinate for rabies. 11 Gray St, Sabo, Yaba, Lagos
Oct 7- 19, Friends of Roman Cats (in San Francisco) offers a tour of Italy focusing on Italian cat groups that work to spay, neuter and care for Italy’s street cats.
Oct 1, 11:30, March / Walk, Starts at city center, Rothschild Blvd. and Mazeh St., ends at Dizengoff Square, Tel Aviv, Israel
Qatar Animal Welfare Society has a Family Fun Day on World Animal Day. You can meet the farm animals or cats and dogs up for adoption.
Where to Go To See Farm Sanctuaries